The core of the VDL uses techniques from modern cryptography to enable the main privacy features. However, the core would be worthless without an intuitive client-facing application and corresponding middleware – and that’s where you come in! You will play a pivotal role in developing new features in our customer-facing applications as well as designing and building efficient deployment infrastructures. This is an all-round Back-end position, meaning that the challenges you solve will closely involve Front-end and DevOps skills.
Your Development (major) responsibilities include:
- Designing and implementing the interactions between the browser/app and the server. Coming up with ways to meet our web app goals in close together with the front-end developers;
- Creating the overall architecture and communication flows of our web apps;
- Designing and implementing the storage of data and how it is displayed to users;
- Developing and managing the APIs and resources;
- Close cooperation with the cryptography and customer deployment teams;
- Design, develop and implement application solutions that make our products more intuitive and more effective for our users, while not compromising on the strong security and privacy guarantees;
- Working in sprints with an agile methodology in close alignment with the scrum team and the product owners;
- Proactively identify opportunities and solutions for improvement of the application code.
We are looking for a colleague who can identify with the following description:
- University degree in exact sciences (MSc) and possessing an analytical mindset;
- Proven prior work experience in building scalable and robust back-ends;
- Hands-on experience with using or administering Linux environments, including troubleshooting and shell-scripting (e.g., Bash);
- Strong proficiency in programming in Python, which is our preferred back-end language. Experience in designing and building RESTful APIs;
- Conceptual understanding of container tooling such as Docker (Swarm) and Kubernetes, as well as configuration tooling such as Ansible or Salt. Hands-on experience in any of these is a plus;
- You have an international orientation and experience. You speak English at a professional level;
- You are hands-on, proactive, organized, and structured. You have a strong eye for quality;
- You are creative and not afraid to step outside of your comfort zone. You can quickly respond to changes in the environment and deliver short-cyclical value in an Agile way;
- You enjoy working in a small team of a fast-growing start-up with many opportunities but also many uncertainties.
We offer attractive employment conditions that suit a start-up in this phase; participation is an option. We value a high-performance culture built around our core values: customer, quality, and team. Where, how, and when you work is up to you.
Please include links that highlight your relevant experience, such as GitHub, Stack Overflow, or portfolio websites.
Does this sound like your dream job but you don’t tick all the boxes? Please do reach out, we are very keen to get to know you!