Scientific software engineer
Are you enthusiastic about both designing and developing new software, as well as improving existing complex code bases? Do you want to use your domain knowledge to help make modelling software that keeps our feet dry and our environment healthy? Then we are looking for you!
What can you expect as a scientific software engineer?
The Deltares Software Center (DSC) unit develops state-of-the-art numerical modeling software, in which the latest numerical techniques and parameterizations are applied. Different technologies and disciplines, such as physics, (numerical) mathematics and/or data science, are combined. DSC's Hydrodynamics and Morphology Software department focuses on the development of high-quality software products aimed at modeling free surface flows in oceans, coastal seas, estuaries, rivers, lakes and rural & urban areas, including the D-HYDRO suite.
You will work within a Product Development team of approximately 7 developers to test, build, document and implement scientific modeling software. Your colleagues have backgrounds in physics, civil engineering, mathematics and software engineering. You work in a team to create, maintain and improve applications and innovative solutions for water-related problems. Your main tasks are:
- Working in the multidisciplinary teams of our simulation software products;
- Collaborate with experienced colleagues on continuous development for our new product releases;
- Participate in the maintenance and support process, investigate customer problems and improve and update the software products;
- Use, configure and improve our software engineering and deployment processes;
- Contribute to improving our software modules and our way of working, and enthusiastically share these ideas.
What does Deltares expect from a Scientific Software Engineer?
- You have experience in developing scientific applications and innovative solutions and you have a strong affinity with software engineering;
- You are a motivated professional with a PhD or MSc degree in physics or mathematics, civil engineering, climate science, marine science, computer science, or similar;
- Experience or affinity with principles, theories and practices of free surface flows and one or more numerical geophysical models for simulating free surface flows is an advantage;
- You see a programming language as a tool and apply the right one for the assignment. You are able and/or willing to switch between modern and legacy languages; Proficiency in of Fortran, C++, Python or Julia is a plus;
- Knowledge of Software Design Patterns is an advantage;
- Experience with developing software solutions on Linux is an advantage;
- You speak and write English fluently and if you don't speak Dutch you are willing to learn this quickly (via our Dutch curriculum).
What we offer
- A motivated team to work in an informal, dynamic and challenging work environment;
- Deltares is characterized by an open and collaborative culture;
- Deltares offers a competitive salary. Classification is based on your experience;
- Excellent training opportunities for personal and professional growth;
- ABP average pay pension, 34 vacation days, a vitality budget and a mobility budget;
- Beautiful office locations in Utrecht and Delft with special facilities on our campus such as the Delta Flume, Geo-centrifuge, Hydrohal and laboratory.
- Working from home is well facilitated;
- A diverse and inclusive working environment.*
Has this vacancy aroused your interest and do your qualities match the job profile? Then apply directly via the apply button and upload your CV and motivation letter. Do you have questions about the vacancy? Please contact Brian de Bruin (HR Recruitment Officer; email@example.com; +31615267686).
*Deltares is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment